Sunday 21 September 2014

The Infinite Sea: Rick Yancey - FTM




How do you rid the Earth of seven billion humans? Rid the humans of their humanity.


Surviving the first four waves was nearly impossible. Now Cassie Sullivan finds herself in a new world, a world in which the fundamental trust that binds us together is gone. As the 5th Wave rolls across the landscape, Cassie, Ben, and Ringer are forced to confront the Others’ ultimate goal: the extermination of the human race.



Cassie and her friends haven’t seen the depths to which the Others will sink, nor have the Others seen the heights to which humanity will rise, in the ultimate battle between life and death, hope and despair, love and hate.



- Goodreads Synopsis

First let me start off by saying that this book was okay. When I first saw it in the bookstore the day it came out I was very surprised by the length. It was exactly three-hundred pages. Me being me, I was really worried that the book was going to be very rushed and compacted. It was quite the opposite. It wasn't rushed at all instead I found it a little more slow paced. I do prefer slow paced over fast paced just because things can be spread out a little more when its spread out.

When ever there are popular books and series, it's very hard to live up to the hype of the previous book especially if it was flat out amazing. The Fifth Wave is one of my favourite books and I was very much looking forward to the release of  The Infinite Sea. I will admit that I do prefer the first one over the second only because I think that nothing really happened. Yes it was interesting but I wasn't really pulled in like I was with the first book. I just feel like there was so much more room to write and create. 

The events that happen in the book weren't really mind blowing and I would consider that a good thing. I find that it is a trend to have nothing really happen in sequels especially the second because the characters are usually trying to really find themselves and really take in what is happening in their lives. Of course we are following Cassie and her friends, and throughout most of the book they are just hiding and making plans for the future. You can really tell how broken everyone is and I give a round of applause to Rick for showing that emotion. I mean it even affects Sammy. in the first book he was always so happy  and hyper even though he knew what was happening. In this book, you can actually tell how different Sammy is if you really pay close attention, he really has become a lot stronger.

I still don't know if there is going to be a love triangle in this series, there were little hints in this one just like the last and to be honest I'm glad that Rick didn't decide to over exaggerate the romance, I loved how he really just focused more on Evan and Cassie then Ben and Cassie. One thing that I love about her relationship with Evan is that it is really complicated. If you didn't know I really like complicated relationships in books because it's realistic. When ever Evan and Cassie said something about them finding each other and how they always find each other I just kept thinking, Once Upon A Time....

Just like the last book, Cassie still has her teenage fangirl mind. Let me just say that Rick Yancey does a fantastic job channeling his inner fangirl. We only see that side of Cassie for maybe a sentence or a paragraph but I found it hilarious and accurate. At first I was wondering how Rick knew how fangirls acted but then I realized that his book has a bunch of fangirls... including me. 

We are introduced to a new character in this book, this character is Grace. Let me just say that I am not a fan of Grace. I just really don't understand her. We didn't really go into much detail about her,  I think it would have been really interesting to find out more about her. Hopefully we do in the next book. I think she will become a bigger character but we didn't really get much backstory, she was kind of just thrown in.

For half of the book, we are with Cassie. I felt like we didn't even get to see enough of Cassie in the story and she is one of the main characters. Cassie is one of favourite characters and we barely got to see her in the book and for the second half it's a completely different character. The character being Ringer, I actually found Ringer's perspective very interesting. I do like Cassie's and the others perspectives more but reading Ringer's point of view was very refreshing. It was interesting to read from somebody else's point of view who was on the opposite side.

I also forgot to mention that this book was literally a straight up continuation of the story. Some questions were left unanswered and nothing was added to the plot therefore acting as a bridge. I don't really enjoy it when sequels are bridges between each other because nothing happens but it is understandable on why Rick decided to write it this way.


Don't get me wrong, it was still very well written it just didn't have the aspects of sequel that I expect in a book. Now that I've read this and realized how short it was and how nothing really happened, I'm a little nervous about the third one, not because I think it will be bad it's because he could take that risk and jumble things up with the characters and the plot.

Overall I still really loved and enjoyed reading this book. Yes it was short and yes it was slow paced but that doesn't mean that the last book is going to be the same. This book didn't have much action and it did have it's flaws but I am looking forward to the next book very much as I did with this one. I would rate this book a 4 out of 5 stars. 

You can read my review for The Fifth Wave HERE

I hope you enjoyed this review! Feel free to follow our blog!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment below! Thanks for reading!