Tuesday 28 October 2014

Stolen: Lucy Christopher - FTM





It happened like this. I was stolen from an airport. Taken from everything I knew, everything I was used to. Taken to sand and heat, dirt and danger. And he expected me to love him.

This is my story.
A letter from nowhere. 

Sixteen year old Gemma is kidnapped from Bangkok airport and taken to the Australian Outback. This wild and desolate landscape becomes almost a character in the book, so vividly is it described. Ty, her captor, is no stereotype. He is young, fit and completely gorgeous. This new life in the wilderness has been years in the planning. He loves only her, wants only her. Under the hot glare of the Australian sun, cut off from the world outside, can the force of his love make Gemma love him back? 

The story takes the form of a letter, written by Gemma to Ty, reflecting on those strange and disturbing months in the outback. Months when the lines between love and obsession, and love and dependency, blur until they don't exist - almost.

- Goodreads Synopsis

The review is SPOILER FREE!
So I read this for a book a book club. It was our December read of the month I believe but I felt like reading it so I read it. I was pleasantly surprised by this book because I really didn't know what to expect. I had heard about this book a number of times before but I never had an interest in reading it until now. 

Like any other book, it has flaws. It is described in the synopsis that the book is told in a letter, it didn't feel like it was written as a letter. The only time I felt like I was reading a letter was the very last page. It really just felt like you were reading a book in 1st person.

Another thing that I noticed is that I didn't find myself caring for the characters. Gemma is immediately kidnapped within ten pages of the book and we don't even get to know her that well. I also would have liked to have more backstory on Ty. 

I believe that there was so much more room for backstory and character development but its  still great the way it is.

I found this book just a little bit repetitive. I can understand that because they were in the middle of nowhere in the desert so there really wasn't much to do. 

Lucy Christopher did a wonderful job writing this book, I found that her writing style was a little bit poetic. When ever authors have a poetic touch to their words, it does so much more for the story and it puts so much more depth and emotion into the storyline. 

I know this was a very short review but this book is also very short. I recommend this to everybody, anyone of any age will enjoy this book. It's compelling and intriguing. I would rate this book a 4 out of 5 stars. 

I hope you enjoyed this review!

Please follow our blog and check our social media! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment below! Thanks for reading!