Monday 6 July 2015

May/June Wrap-Up | RQK




So I have recently reflected on my old posts and realized that I tend to rate books very high. Even though I do enjoy the books a lot I think that I should start rating books more accurately otherwise it is hard to really compare them with one another. Therefore these ratings will most likely be later than my earlier posts, but just keep in mind that my rating system has changed.


The first book I read this month was Macbeth by: William Shakespeare. I had to read this book or play for my english class. We did also watch the movie, but after we finished reading of course. I personally am not really into Shakespeare's work. I do appreciate his writing, I understand the significance and beauty in his work, but I just don't enjoy them. If you are the type of person who likes play's and poetry with lots of tragedy and drama this definitely would be for you. The story line of the book is actually really good though, but I just don't enjoy the style it is written in. I would give this book 3.5/5 stars.





The next book I read was Captive by: Aimee Carter.  So I read the first book of this series last year I think. FTM and I saw the first book in our local bookstore all the time and we both were really interested in reading it. However I will say both of us were let down. The book was decent, but nothing like what we expected. The base storyline was good, but I think could have been better written. That goes for this book as well. This one was somewhat of an improvement. The story was less everywhere there was some interesting things that happened, but I still found that the writing was still not as good as it could be. I did enjoy parts of the book, but wouldn't want to pick it up again. I would give this book 2.5/5 stars.



The next book I read was the one for my independent novel study and that was Suicide Notes by: Michael Thomas Ford. This book was quite something. I chose this book because my teacher knew how much I read and she asked me to pick a book different from what I usually read. Suicide Notes lived up to and surpassed my expectations. I have read books kind of like this before, but this one was very unique. To me the book seemed to be written by a teen and I mean that as it seemed like the actually character wrote the book. I felt as if I was able to really get into the story as if I was actually there with him. The story isn't super extensive, it is not really depressing. There are some things of course, but the author manages to overall keep a light mood around most of the book. The way he uses the comedy mixed with the sadness, just makes the book that much more surprising and good in my opinion. I rate this book 4.5/ 5 stars.
I also did a basic analysis of the book which you can check out here.


In the start of June before my exams I took time off studying to read Maximum Ride Forever by: James Patterson. This is the last book in his Maximum Ride series. I started reading this  series last year I think. I personally grew up reading or hearing about James Patterson so I think I am bias towards his books. However I do think that he is just genuinely a great writer. I will admit that his teen stories tend to be somewhat cheesey, but I still enjoy them a lot. James Patterson has great writing and many different stories. I would say even if you don't enjoy this particular story, you shouldn't judge him based off just one of his countless pieces. He writes everything from childrens to teens to adults books so there are books of his for everybody to read! This book was filled with quite a bit of stuff and I definitely enjoyed it the most out of all of them. There was just a different aspect to this book as if you could feel everything coming to an end. I would rate this book 4/5 stars.

The most recent book I have read is Paper Towns  by: John Green. I decided to read this book because FTM wants to see the movie and I thought that I definitely should read the book first! So I borrowed the book from her and read it! I really enjoyed the storyline of the book. I think the whole idea was really fascinating and the ending was kind of shocking, but well done. I personally get bored with these kinds of books however and I start to skim or skip the middle parts which to me feel really flat. This of course is just how I feel about these books. I am use to reading books with more action or event sin them instead of a light novel such as this. John Green really is a good author, but I personally just am not a huge fan of these types of books though I still read some. I would give this book 3/5 stars.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment below! Thanks for reading!