Sunday 5 March 2017

Shadowhunters | Bound by Blood | 2x09 | Review & Discussion | Faith


We are so close to the winter finale of Shadowhunters, and this episode I felt was very solid and had some great things in at as well as some things that weren't as fantastic. There were a lot of high points of this episode however, like always there were points where I couldn't help but disagree with the decisions that were made.

The first thing I would like to discuss is Izzy's addiction to Yin Fen. Yin Fen is something very powerful in the books, highly addictive and it had the ability to kill you. They completley downgraded Yin Fen to simply be vampire venom which is something I was a little disappointed with. They could've taken Isabelle on this really painful journey but instead turned it into some sort of weird romantic and sexual relationship between her and Rafael. It isn't really the romantic relationship between the two that I have a problem with, it's the way they're portraying addiction.

I think Emma, from EmmaBooks describes it perfectly and would highly suggest you go and check out her review and discussion of this weeks episode on Youtube.


The next aspect of the show I would like to discuss is Climon. I've never really been a fan of their romantic relationship, the only reason why I'm happy that it's happening is that it's one step closer to Clace. It's really nice how they're portraying it on screen, it's very cute and it's clear that the two of them do care a lot for one another but at the end of the day, it's weird. 

Something that's been bothering a lot of Shadowhunters fans is that Jace is clearly not over Clary, and supposedly Clary isn't either. Yet while her feelings still lingers, she's completely wound up with Simon and my opinion on that is that she's using Simon as a distraction (which she does in the books) because it hurts less to push someone or something away and pretend it doesn't exist.

So the whole premise of this episode is Clary's blood oath, and to be honest the thought of Clary dying did not really scare me considering she's one of the main characters. It didn't scare or surprise me in any shape or form, but it was really fun to watch the journey of undoing the blood oath.

A scene in this episode that really made an impact on me was the scene between Clary, Jace and Simon. So in this scene, Clary is asking Simon to kill her if she gets in the hands of Valentine and Simon being Simon, he doesn't want to but then---JACE. Jace promises Clary, and while the promise was very dark to me it showed how much Jace knew and loved Clary to understand what something like that meant. 

Madzie is one of the cutest little warlocks I have ever seen. I honestly just love her story arc in the show as of right now and she's barely in the show. It just amazes me how she's so little and has all of this power. And all of her interactions with Valentine were excellent.

Alan Van Sprang, as always DELIVERS A FANTASTIC PERFORMANCE! That's all I'm going to say because I'm sure if you're a watcher of the show, you know how sinister and perfect his portrayal of Valentine is.

So Valentine took Simon in this episode. That was the very last thing we saw in this episode, and I can definitely see how they're pulling things from City of Ashes. I hope this means that we're going to see day lighter Simon!

Those were all of my thoughts on this weeks episode! 

I hope you enjoyed reading this review!

Feel free to follow our blog!

Check out our SOCIAL MEDIA for updates on our current reads and future projects.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment below! Thanks for reading!