Tuesday 30 August 2016

August Wrap Up | Faith


The first book I read this month was A Great And Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray! This is the first book in The Gemma Doyle Trilogy. 
I've had this book on my shelf for a while now but I never got around to reading it. For the first 50% of this book, I listened to the audiobook which was actually a really good one, and I highly recommend the audiobook if that's what you're more interested in. Since I had the physical book, I thought that I could go through this a lot faster if I had just read it and I did. This book was definitely a lot more slow than most books. It took a while to get into the dark parts of the novel. The storyline was one of the most unique story lines I have read, and is unlike anything I have read before. The characters were very interesting, although I can't say that they stood out to me as characters. They didn't really have any interesting characteristics in my opinion. A Great And Terrible Beauty was a great introduction into the series. One thing I learned from reading this book, it's that Libba Bray has a great voice for storytelling. I will not be continuing on with this series though just because of certain controversial subjects.I would rate it a 3.5 out of 5 stars.
The second book I read this month was, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child. This was nothing like I thought I would be. It wasn't terrible but it certainly wasn't amazing. It's difficult to judge scripts because they're not really meant to be just read, they're meant to be spoken and performed. I am not going to judge the play based off the script, because I feel like the play is much better than the script. I'm just going to say that I was disappointed, and that it didn't feel like something that came out of The Harry Potter world. You know that feeling? It's like when you read the books or watch the films or even in The Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find them trailers. I didn't particularly enjoy the events that happened in this book. It was just very cheesy and unrealistic. I would rate this a 2 out of 5 stars.

SPOILER FREE REVIEW
DISCUSSION





The third book I read in August was, Library of Souls by Ransom Riggs. This is the third and final book in the Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children series. If you didn't know, I bought this book when it came out and never finished it until now... 10 months... I made a pact to myself to finish this book before the movie for the first book came out and that is what I did. This book was very interesting to read about. I still found the world and the characters to be incredible and unique, and that is what made this book for me. This was probably my least favourite in the series but it doesn't mean that it was bad. I feel like this series is one of those rare trilogies where every book is great quality. If you compared them side to side, they would all live up to each other. However, based on enjoyment my favourite would be the first one. I would rate this book a 4 out of 5 stars.





The fourth book I read was a graphic novel called Groot. If you've read my Recent Obsessions post, you would know that I've recently become obsessed with Guardians of The Galaxy! One of my favourite characters from the movie was Groot, for many, many reasons and I wanted to read something about him. I'm not really a fan of Marvel Comics, but I thought that this was really enjoyable. I haven't read many comics from Marvel but I love the films! If you're a fan of Groot or even just Guardians of The Galaxy in general, check this graphic novel out because it's definitely worth it! I would rate this a 4 out of 5 stars.












The fifth book was ALSO a graphic novel, and that was Superman/Wonderman Volume 3. I have been trying to read more comics from DC or graphic novels, whatever you think is the right term for these bind ups.  Honestly, I don't really have any opinion in it. I somewhat enjoyed it but I find it kind of difficult to properly rate graphic novels. I just feel like it's so different because there are so many other things you have to look at. Anyway, I would rate this a 3 out of 5 stars purely based on enjoyment.











The next three books I read were graphic novels! I read Saga volumes, three, four and five. The reason why I read these was because I kind of fell behind on reading them and I just wanted to catch up. Anyway, I thought that they were pretty good, I think I enjoyed Volume 4 and 5 the most. If you haven't checked these out, I definitely think you should. However, if you're under the age of 14? I don't think you should read them. I would rate the third a 4 out of 5 stars, the second 5 out of 5 stars and the last one a 4 out of 5 stars.

The ninth book I read was ANOTHER graphic novel. This was The Wicked + The Divine Vol 2. A lot of people love this graphic novel series but I don't know what it is but I don't really like it as much as everyone else. Honestly, I'm a little confused with what's going on. The artwork is SUPER pretty but the storyline is definitely lacking in my opinion. I don't think I'm going to continue reading the series, maybe I will because of the ending but it's not likely. I would rate this a 3 out of 5 stars.














The tenth book I read was... another graphic novel. I've been very lucky with the amount of graphic novels that I've read, for the most part I've enjoyed them. However this one is called Monstress and it was super cool. This was probably one of the best graphic novels that I've read. It has this really, really cool concept and it was super interesting to read about. The artwork was also very unique and different, and I believe that it definitely suited the storyline. I would rate this a 4 out of 5 stars











I hope you enjoyed reading this!

Feel free to follow our blog!

Check out our SOCIAL MEDIA for updates on our current reads and future projects.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment below! Thanks for reading!