Monday 8 August 2016

Suicide Squad | Movie Review | Faith

Figuring they're all expendable, a U.S. intelligence officer decides to assemble a team of dangerous, incarcerated supervillains for a top-secret mission. Now armed with government weapons, Deadshot (Will Smith), Harley Quinn (Margot Robbie), Captain Boomerang, Killer Croc and other despicable inmates must learn to work together. Dubbed Task Force X, the criminals unite to battle a mysterious and powerful entity, while the diabolical Joker (Jared Leto) launches an evil agenda of his own.

- Wikipedia Synopsis










This review WILL be SPOILER-FREE!

If you didn't know, Suicide Squad was probably one of the most anticipated movies of the year. DC has not really had the best of luck with their films recently, since Man of Steel there has been a mixture of good and bad reviews for the three films that have been released. Another thing that has been surrounding the films is the lack of connection between the DC TV Shows and the films. For those of you who are frequent watchers of the show, you would know that Deadshot was killed in Arrow and that Grant Gustin plays The Flash. Unlike Marvel, they decided not to connect the two of them... I will be discussing some things that surround the DC universe movie franchise.

First things first, what did I think about the film? I thought that this movie was actually quite good and was very entertaining. However, there were flaws. At the moment, I believe that the TV shows are much better than the movies. Even though I say that, I do think that the movies they did in the past were very good.

A huge problem that these movies have are the scripts. All three movies had horrible scripts and that means Man of Steel, Batman vs. Superman and Suicide Squad. It seems like with every film, the scale get's larger with the intensity but the script never changes. Suicide Squad did not really tell a story, it tried but the message never got out there because of how many plot holes there were in this film. Visually, this film was very appealing to look at but it felt more like a music video than an actual movie. To me, since this film has so many things to look at it is only trying to distract you from the lack of care that went into the storytelling aspect of this film.


It is so obvious that DC is trying to separate themselves from Marvel, they are continuously trying to make themselves different and make a name for themselves. In my opinion, I already feel like there is a fine line that separates the two without one being dark and one being funny. I mean they have Superman. To me, the dark atmosphere only works for certain characters in the DC universe. 

I feel like they are finally figuring out that the darkness isn't really working for these films, it was actually one of the downfalls with the past two films if I may say so myself. There was a lot more comedy in this film than there was in the past. Now while the comedy wasn't overdone, I did feel like sometimes the lines were a little out of place and just sounded a little odd.

While I am a lover of DC, I will admit that I wasn't really familiar with a lot of the characters in this film. The only characters that I really knew were Deadshot, Katana, The Joker and Harley Quinn. Despite my lack of knowledge, I did think that every actor brought their character to life in a really great way.

One character that I really loved in this film was Deadshot. Something that I have always loved about his character is his love for his daughter. I feel like his love for her showed really well in the movie and was one of the best parts of the entire film.


Something that I have always loved about all of the characters in the DC universe, is that everything is so character driven. I personally love when characters motives are driven by another person because it gives them so much depth and character, it results in an incredibly complex backstory.

A character/actress I was very surprised with was Cara Delevingne as the Enchantress/June. I feel like I can't really comment on her portrayal as the Enchantress since so much of it relied on CGI. However I loved her as June. 

The fight scenes was another thing I found to be very "pretty" I guess you could say. I didn't really find anything wrong with how they were filmed and choreographed I just wish that it looked more like a fight scene and not a music video. Speaking of music videos, the soundtrack for this movie was all over the place. Usually there is a theme but I felt like the music did not really have a theme. One time it was rock and the next was like electronic pop. 

One thing that has always bothered me about the movies is that they kind of chose not to acknowledge the TV shows. The shows have been doing a stellar job at doing crossover and it's so fantastic. I feel like combining the TV shows and the films would have been epic. The argument here might be because the films are darker than the shows, well Arrow is a lot darker than The Flash but they still manage to find a blend between them. Another argument is that we have alternate earths so everything here could take place on another earth, to me this kind of felt like an excuse because certain people were angry.

If you didn't know, the Suicide Squad was actually supposed to be featured on Arrow but it got cut because of the film. Having seen this movie, I am kind of glad that they didn't show it on the show because I do not think that it would live up to the movie. It probably would've been written better, but in terms of intensity I do not think that it would even compare.

Overall, if I wasn't paying attention to all of the flaws I would've rated this film a 4 out of 5 stars. However that was not the case. I did really enjoy the films but there were still so many things that they could've improved on. I would rate this film a 3 out of 5 stars.

I hope you enjoyed reading this review!

Feel free to follow our blog!

Check out our SOCIAL MEDIA for updates on our current reads and future projects.


4 comments:

  1. Ooh, this was a fabulous review! I really want to see the movie, which is saying something because I generally avoid everything DC.😂 Whoops. I am just a Marvel fangirl through and through hahhhah. But it kind of seems like Suicide Squad is DC's attempt at pulling off something dark and funny like Marvel's Deadpool? Hm. ANYWAY. I'm still keen because the trailer looks so funny. But it's sad the dialogue is mostly lacking and it's not good at story telling. ;_; Ah well, hopefully the explosions win me over? I do like a good explosion. XD

    Thanks for stopping by @ Paper Fury!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for stopping by our blog! Also thanks for reading my review. I personally love both DC and Marvel, but I lean more towards DC when it comes to the actual comics. Honestly, I feel like Suicide Squad was darker than Deadpool. Deadpool was more like a light, dark if that makes sense? Suicide Squad was kind of like a disturbing funny.

      Yeah, well they've had a problem with the script with the past two movies so I don't really know when it's going to improve.

      If you ever feel like watching anything DC, I HIGHLY suggest the TV shows because they are far better than the movies. I personally believe that there is something for everyone in all of them. And they're mostly all on the CW which is really nice and easy!

      If you like music video type of style explosions, than I would suggest that you should watch the movie haha.



      Delete
  2. Great review as per! Interesting what you said on DC and their films often being very dark, as my favourite DC film and my favourite superhero film of all time is The Dark Knight - very dark. Personally, I think they should follow in the lines of being very heavily dark to contrast Marvel's more light-hearted superhero movies.

    Suicide Squad was my most anticipated film for 2016 but due to all the negative reviews I haven't seen it yet (definitely will though), but I think the cast are incredible and it had the potential to be something amazing. As I prefer darker movies in general, I wish they hadn't made the last minute changes to make the movie more comedic as I've heard the script and the editing are very flawed and awkward.

    H

    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading!

      With the DC being dark thing, I definitely think it works but only for certain stories and characters. The reason why I pointed it out in this review is because, it hasn't been working for the them as of "Man of Steel." (2013). Batman is one of those characters where he should always remain dark because that's his character, and with Suicide Squad the same thing. However, with the Superman films it just doesn't work because if you've seen the past films and also read the comics, that's not who he is. There's always been this atmosphere of light around him which they completely butchered.

      Also, sometimes movies do need a little bit of comedy every now ESPECIALLY with the most recent DC films.

      Sometimes, I find it kind of annoying that DC is trying to separate themselves with Marvel. Obviously I know why but even in the past, their films were made different, the structure and the script was different. They're separated without changing anything.

      Having seen the trailer for Justice League, you can already tell that they've blended the light and dark so they're slowly changing.

      Delete

Feel free to leave a comment below! Thanks for reading!