Sunday 7 December 2014

Between The Devil And The Deep Blue Sea: April Genevieve Tucholke - FTM





You stop fearing the devil when you’re holding his hand…


Nothing much exciting rolls through Violet White’s sleepy, seaside town… until River West comes along. River rents the guest house behind Violet’s crumbling estate, and as eerie, grim things start to happen, Violet begins to wonder about the boy living in her backyard. 



Is River just a crooked-smiling liar with pretty eyes and a mysterious past? Or could he be something more?



Violet’s grandmother always warned her about the Devil, but she never said he could be a dark-haired boy who takes naps in the sun, who likes coffee, who kisses you in a cemetery... who makes you want to kiss back. 



Violet’s already so knee-deep in love, she can’t see straight. And that’s just how River likes it.



- Goodreads Synopsis



The only reason why I picked up this book up was because, I thought that the title sounded interesting and I saw it in a video. I went into it knowing nothing, I like it that way. As soon as I started to get into this book I noticed how easy and relaxed I was while reading this. I didn't have to put any effort into understanding the story. It was a very light and easy read. I guess you could say I found the writing style a little young... I literally just turned fifteen and I'm saying this but it feels like something that I would have read around the age of 12 or 13.

When April writes, she always refers to different things like the devil. She made things ironic because the peoples beliefs in this world are quite strange and different. I do feel that there is more room for improvement on her writing because there were a few flaws that I noticed. This isn't the most well written novel but the story is quite interesting.

In the beginning, some of the characters seemed a little too fake and immature. I found them a little underdeveloped. Two of the only characters that I found were really well developed were Violet and River. The relationship between them was a little cheesy and maybe a little rushed for my taste.

This book is put off as creepy and  scary. I did not find it creepy or scary whatsoever. I think it could have creeped out someone in their tweenish years. A lot of the things that were supposed to be creepy were a little overdone and the element of creepy wasn't there which was a little bit of a let down for me.

To be honest, I found the concept with River a little stupid, I mean he changes into different monsters and goes around town scaring people just because it makes him feel good. I don't get why Violet would keep being romantically involved with someone who is so psychotic. I expected so much more from River's backstory and his abilities.

One of the things that I strongly disliked in this novel was Violet and River. I hated how she would snap at him for things that he had done like, murder, scaring her loved ones and glowing other children but then a few seconds later she would jump into bed with him. After all of the things that he's done she still wants to eat his face. If you couldn't tell, I am not a fan of their current relationship.

This was one of those books when I thought I was going to love when I first started it but then started to slowly dislike it when reading further.

 If you are looking for a creepy novel, this isn't necessarily creepy. If you're looking for a light read, this would be a good choice. 

This book was a disappointment in my opinion, I have realized that this book has received plenty of mixed reviews and I just happen to be on the negative side. Besides all of the negativity that I focused on, this book was still enjoyable. 

I rarely ever write negative reviews. I honestly did not know how this review would turn out, I did enjoy reading this book but I didn't love it. I feel like I would have enjoyed more if I was a few years younger. This was April's debut novel and debut novels will often have flaws. I always feel horrible giving books negative reviews but sometimes I can't help it. I just found some of the situations very unrealistic, and I understand that it is fiction but some of the things that happened were a little ridiculous. I would rate it a 3 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment below! Thanks for reading!