Tuesday 30 June 2015

May & June Wrap Up | FTM




The first book I read this month was Miss Mayhem by: Rachel Hawkins! I read the first book Rebel Belle and loved it so much and was looking forward to this one. (You can read my review for Rebel Belle HERE) I love Rachel Hawkins writing and I have only read 2 1/2 of her books. However this book was much slower paced then the first, and so many random things happened. Originally I was going to write a review for this book but I just don't think I have enough information and detail to write one. Thankfully, this book did not suffer from second book syndrome but it still was a little bit of a bridge. Although, I did really enjoy it, the I would rate this book a 4 out of 5 stars. 









The second book I read in the month of May was Cress by: Marissa Meyer! I absolutely loved this book, it is so far my favourite out of the entire series. I love Marissa's writing, and all of the stories she has to tell, each book that she has published has just gotten better and better every single time! I would rate this book a 5 out of 5 stars.







The third book I read in May was Paper Towns by: John Green! I have read two books by John Green, which were The Fault in our Stars and Looking For Alaska, I would say those books were decent but there was nothing that special about them because I found them to be very generic, even with Paper Towns it is generic with the story and the characters, however there is something very intriguing about it. There are some people who are saying the same things I was about the plainness of the stories in John Green's books, but there is something much more meaningful that is in this book's content, that you must understand and accept in order to really embrace the quality of this book. You can read my full SPOILER FREE review HERE. I would rate it a 4 out of 5 stars.







The fourth book I read in the month of May was Superman | Batman | Supergirl by: Jeph Loeb, Micheal Turner and Peter Steigerwald. If you have read my past wrap ups, you would know that I love comic books/graphic novels! Since the first episode of the Supergirl TV show was leaked, I had been wanting to read something about her! This comic was so much fun, it had Wonder Woman who I just recently came to admire! One of my favourite parts of this book was when Diana and Clark would constantly be bickering. I definitely prefer bickering Superman and Wonder Woman over the two who are a couple. I would rate this a 4 out of 5 stars!









The fifth book I read in May was Half-Wild by: Sally Green. I really enjoyed this book but I also kind of hated it because of the ending! I would rate this book a 4 out of 5 stars. You can really tell how much Sally has improved in her writing, there was a lot more plot and character development. This was an excellent sequel!















June:

The first book I read in June was The New 52: Supergirl Volume 2: Girl in the world by: Michael Green, Mike Johnson and Mahmud Adrar, I didn't really enjoy this edition as much as the first one I read. If my understanding is correct, The New 52 are I guess you could say re-writes of the original story, some are a little tweaked. I did really enjoy the jumps between the past and the present however. I would rate this a 4 out of 5 stars.











The second book I read was Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children: The Graphic Novel by: Random Riggs and art by Cassandra Jean. This series is one of my favourite book series, I just love the entire concept. I borrowed this from the library on a complete whim, I never planned on reading this but I was like 'Hey I can catch up on my reading challenge with this!" I really enjoyed how quick this was to read, it was a good way to refresh my memory. I would rate this a 5 out of 5 stars. I also really loved Cassandra Jean's artwork in this, I've seen her art before, as well as her name I just don't know where. I know her name has been attached to a few YA adapted graphic novels.







The third book I read this month was A Court Of Thorns And Roses by: Sarah J. Maas. I believe this book is new adult, so I don't really recommend this to younger readers. It does have some very descriptive graphic scenes, both violent and intimate scenes. If you couldn't handle the scene between Jace and Clary in City Of Heavenly Fire then you probably shouldn't pick this up. Yes it is a fantasy series, but it is essentially a romance. This book had a lot of world building, which was a little much for my taste but the world is so fascinating and the writing is beautiful. I do prefer the Throne Of Glass series over this, the characters did not set the same spark as the characters in Throne Of Glass. I did find this book a little slow because of how much world building their was. I do believe that this series will get much better as it goes on, again I don't recommend for younger readers (10-13) mainly because I don't think they'll like the romance, I myself loved the romance, I mean you know Tamlin. I would rate this book a 3.5 out of 5 stars (70%/100%)

A Review Will Be Up On July 15th.

Check Out a Spoiller-free Review From BiblioTopia -  A Court Of Thorns And Roses


The fourth book I read was, Not Every Girl by: Jane McGarry. I had nothing but high expectations for this book, I had read the first couple chapters and was instantly pulled in! Jane was so kind and generous for offering to send me a review copy of her book, and when I received it I marathoned it. I did not realize how fast I was reading it, I finished it in less then two days.

Not Every Girl is so empowering, it's one big adventure filled with action, humour and romance! One of the best author debut novels that I have read. A solid 5 out of 5 stars.

A full review will be published on July 8th, 2015.















No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment below! Thanks for reading!