Saturday 8 August 2015

Paper Towns Book-Movie Adaptation | Review | Faith




  1. Young and shy Quentin (Nat Wolff) is in for the night of his life when Margo (Cara Delevingne), the most popular student in high school, recruits him to help her play mischievous pranks on the friends who betrayed her. The next day, however, the mysterious Margo is nowhere to be found. With help from a few buddies and some cryptic clues that she left behind, Quentin embarks on an obsessive mission to find the girl who stole his heart and made him feel truly alive.
- Wikipedia synopsis 

This Review Will Contain SPOILERS


Luckily, Raquel and I won passes to go see Paper Towns in theatres thanks to Garage Clothing and The Paper Towns Movie. I went into this movie having no expectations mainly because I wasn't really anticipating this movie. From the trailers, it seemed like a very lighthearted film and that was a good sign. In the book, Paper Towns had a very warm tone to it. The film definitely held the same tone as the book, which is something that I always look for in book-movie adaptations.

Let's start this off by talking about Quentin who is portrayed by Nat Wolff. Quentin is one of those generic witty John Green characters. Nat did a wonderful job bringing Quentin to life and his portrayal of Quentin was set apart from his previous role in The Fault In Our Stars. Quentin has a very great and deep love for Margo. Some mind find his actions so romantic and thoughtful but in a way it's kind of weird. The movie really opened my eyes to Quentin, and this has nothing to do with Nat's performance, it's just his character in general. If you think about it, Margo is the one thing that is constantly on his mind, he's practically obsessed with her, he's been in love with her for nine years but he barely knew her. It just kind of seemed unrealistic and strange in my eyes especially since I saw it on screen. I would really like to know more backstory on Quentin's obsession.

This film was very generic. It was an accurate book adaptation but as a film by itself. It was very straight toned and it did not hold anything special. There was no spark. I feel like this film was trying to hold a meaning. While the meaning was there, the message was not delivered. It was just someone saying lines to an audience. Sometimes, films like this can make you feel enlightened or empowered. This film did not make me feel anything because it was balanced straight the whole time. There were certain scenes in the movie where it could be very moving but it wasn't. In my opinion, this film was trying so hard to be the book that it didn't get the chance to be it's own film and it lacked originality.

Since this movie was kind of straight toned the entire time, I was never really entertained by it. I'm going to be honest and say that I was quite bored with it. Paper Towns was not for me but it could be/is a film for die hard John Green fans.

Paper Towns had very few flaws if I may say so myself. It was filmed very well and it had great actors. I can't put my finger on it, but there was something about it that really disappointed me. John Green's books are quite generic, but there was something about Paper Towns that set a small spark. This film did not have any spark. I don't know how to describe it, but it was literally just the book without the spark. As a creator, you have the chance to bring this book to this life but you also have the ability to make it something special. Paper Towns had a lot of potential to be something amazing.

It may seem like all I have to say is negative but I promise that I did still enjoy it. There were a lot of heartwarming moments that I really loved, such as when the pee spilled on Radar in the car, when Radar told his girlfriend about his parent's collection of black Santa's and the road trip was a lot of fun as well. Paper Towns is a very enjoyable movie and you can tell that it is filled with so much light and friendship.

Overall I would say that I did enjoy this movie, I did not hate it, I just didn't love it. I can't say that my expectations weren't met because I did not have any expectations. This film is a loyal adaptation of the book but it wasn't a mind blowing movie by itself. If you are a fan of John Green's books, I think that you would enjoy this movie just as others would. I would rate this movie a 3.5 out of 5 stars! 

I hope you enjoyed reading this review!

Feel free to follow our blog!

Check out our SOCIAL MEDIA for updates on our current reads and future projects.

Check out the blogs Instagram for updates on posts!
BookishRandomz - Instagram




THANKS FOR READING! 

Also check out Bess Tapalla on South Hill Designs for amazing customizable jewellery!









No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment below! Thanks for reading!