Saturday 2 April 2016

January/February/March Wrap Up | Faith

For some reason, I thought it would be a great idea to combine all three of my wrap ups. The reason I am doing this is so I don't spam people because I have been posting a lot lately.



The first and only book I read in January was The Alchemist by: Paulo Coelho. I read this book for school, and I have to admit when I first read it I absolutely hated it. However, after a few days I had a change of thought and I just completely fell in love in love with this book. I love the meaning and lessons that it is has, it's such a simple story but it is such a wonderful read and I highly suggest that you go and pick it up. I have to admit, the writing is not the strong point in the story. All of the teachings that are in this book is what makes this book The Alchemist. I would rate this book a 3.5 out of 5 stars.










February:

The first book I read this month was Winter by: Marissa Meyer. I started this when it first came out but I just haven't been able to pick it up. It's not that I thought it was bad, I just didn't have enough time. This was probably my favourite out of all of the books. I think Marissa is amazing because every time a new book of hers was released, it would quickly become my new favourite in the series. This was the perfect conclusion to the series! I would rate this book a 4.5 out of 5 stars. I can't wait to pick up Stars Above! I had no idea that it was coming out in physical format so I was pretty pleased when I found that out.










The second book I read this month was, Hello, Goodbye, and Everything in Between. I was kind of disappointed in this book. I don't know what made me dislike this as much as I did, but it just wasn't what I was expecting. I have liked most of Jennifer E. Smith's books, especially The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight. To me, it just didn't live up to my expectations. I would rate this book a 2 out of 5 stars.




 







The third book I read this month was In Order to Live: A North Korean Girls Journey to Freedom by: Yeonmi Park with Maryanne Vollers. I wanted to read this mainly because of Max from the Youtube channel WellDoneBooks. I have never read memoirs on my own, when ever I have read them they have been for school. Every time I read them, I always come out pleasantly surprised with how much I've enjoyed them. I never noticed how blind I was to what is really happening in North Korea, this book shocked me in so many ways yet it was so informative. I think I was only about three chapters in and I was already recommending this to my friends. In Order to Live is an incredible story that is so inspirational yet heartbreaking. I would rate this a 5 out of 5 stars.











The fourth book is actually a book that I didn't finish. This book is Carry on by: Rainbow Rowell. I usually don't put books that I don't complete in my wrap ups but I just felt like putting it in. I read Fangirl maybe a little over a year ago and I liked it, but I did not love it. Rainbow Rowell is a very popular author, and I can definitely see why. This book is meant to be fan-fiction, it's the fan-fiction that was mentioned in Fangirl, which is one of the main reasons I picked it up. I had such high expectations for this book because it currently has a 4.17 rating on Goodreads. I tried to push through this book, but I couldn't. I felt so confused with everything that was going on, I got some of the concepts but the world building wasn't really on it's high point for me. I also felt like the characters lacked depth and I just really didn't enjoy the writing style. This book wasn't for me, but I am sure plenty of people will love this book.




The fifth/fourth book I read this month was Gabriel and The Swallows by: Esther Dalseno. I was sent this book from Oftomes publishing. I rated it a 4 out of 5 stars.

You can read my review HERE
















The last book I read was Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard: The Sword of Summer by: Rick Riordan! I have loved Rick Riordan's books, and I was very excited when I found out that he was going to be releasing a new series. I really love Thor and all of that, I am not a total expert but there were times when I was like "Oh I get you!" This book is based on Norse mythology. I thought that this book was really well done, it incorporated the mythology with the modern world in a very good and understandable way. I thought that this book was really, really fun to read. There were times when I was actually laughing which is rare for me. A problem that I had with the Heroes of Olympus series was that it was targeted towards a much younger audience. While this book is middle-grade (I believe) it doesn't have many childish elements that I disliked in Heroes of Olympus. If you couldn't tell, I loved this book! I would highly recommend this book! If you didn't know, The Kane Chronicles is my favourite out of Rick Riordan's books, and this book sits just below it. I would rate this a 4 out of 5 stars.


March: 


The first book I read in March was Superman/Wonder Woman Volume 2: War and Peace. This is part of the NEW 52 collection. I had this on hold for months at the library, and I was so excited when I was able to read it. One of my favourite things about this was how we say different characters who were from the DC universe. I am still not a fan of Diana and Clark being a couple but them fighting together is one of the best things. I definitely preferred this volume compared to the first one. I would rate it a 4 out of 5 stars.













The second book I read was The Shannara Chronicles: The Elfstones of Shannara by: Terry Brooks. I started reading this because of the TV show, and I will admit I did have a few problems with it but overall I really enjoyed it. I would rate this a 4 out of 5 stars. 

You can read my review HERE.












The third book I read in March was Lady Midnight by: Cassandra Clare. This book was fantastic! I loved every moment of it, I really did not want to put it down, it was always the highlight of my day. This was probably my favourite Cassandra Clare novel so far because it was just so epic! If you haven't read it, I highly suggest that you go and read but only after you've read The Mortal Instruments and The Infernal Devices. I would rate it a 5 out of 5 stars.















This would have been a 4 out of 5 star but there were a few things that pulled my rating down a little bit. I thought the overall structure of this book was really done, it had good characters, an interesting story and the writing was very good in my opinion. However I didn't find myself connected with anything in this book. While I did think that the story was super interesting to read about, I was never itching to find out what happened next. I also didn't find anything special about the characters. To me, they were just very bland. The characters were another thing that I just wasn't connecting to. I may or may not continue with the series, because besides all of the negative things that are embedded in my brain, I did quite enjoy it. Maybe it's just the space ship thing, because I don't like ships. I would rate this book a 3.5 out of 5 stars.





The fifth book I read in March was Yellow Brick War by: Danielle Paige. This is the third book in the series. I wish this book and the second were combined! Everything felt a little rushed for my taste but I enjoyed it far more than I did the wicked will rise. I still have a great love for this series! I would rate this book a 3.5 out of 5 stars.








I hope you enjoyed reading this!

Feel free to follow our blog!

Check out our SOCIAL MEDIA for updates on our current reads and future projects.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment below! Thanks for reading!