Tuesday 11 November 2014

Dystopians - FTM




dystopia (from the Greek δυσ- and τόπος, alternatively, cacotopia, kakotopia, or anti-utopia) is a community or society that is in some important way undesirable or frightening. It is literally translated as "not-good bad-place" and synonymous with the opposite of utopia. Such societies appear in many artistic works, particularly in stories set in a future. Dystopias are often characterized by dehumanization, totalitarian governments, environmental disaster, or other characteristics associated with a cataclysmic decline in society. Dystopian societies appear in many sub-genres of fiction and are often used to draw attention to real-world issues regarding society, environmentpoliticseconomicsreligionpsychologyethics,science, and/or technology, which if unaddressed could potentially lead to such a dystopia-like condition.

- Wikipedia


For the last few years, we have been getting many different books. A lot of them happening to be Dystopias. I absolutely the love the idea of dystopian societies and I just find them fascinating, and I obviously loved reading them. I have heard many people say that not every story is original, everything is inspired or based off of something. An example of this would be The Hunger Games and Divergent being compared throughout the years. Those series just so happen to be one of my favourites and I understand why so many people compare the two but what bugs me is that they say that it is exactly the same. This might be hard for some people to understand but they're almost completely different. One of the things that they have in common is that they both have a strong female character, they take place in futuristic societies and they have a really corrupt government. Yes, there are probably more similarities between the two but they still have their differences. 

As I said before we have been getting a lot of dystopian books. Dystopians have become very popular with readers and popular books sell. It's very hard to find a dystopia that doesn't say "Fans of the Hunger Games will love this!" I am one of those people who hate it when people say that but it's finally clicked in my head. Some of the new books that are being released are usually literally re-tellings.

I'm very conflicted about my feelings with dystopians, I guess you could say that I'm just frustrated. I am a fan of dystopians but nowadays I just feel that they're just too similar. 

I am sure that the authors who are writing and publishing their own dystopian books are all great but I  don't know if I will ever read them. I am not saying that every single book that is being released are re-tellings because there are books out there that are separated from the others.

Okay, I will probably still read them but I would really like it if there wasn't a secret society planning to rebel against the government. I mean seriously, so many rebellions!

I'm still very conflicted and I really don't know why I decided to write this... No but really rebellions...

Then again, the only dystopias that I have read have all been young adult. I have never come across an adult novel that was in the particular genre but if I ever do I will pick it up. I guess it might just be a trend in young adult literature. It pains me to say that I'm kind of getting tired of dystopias, it's really overwhelming to have a dystopia being released every few months and have it be so similar to another book or story.

In my opinion, if you keep reading something that is very similar to something else, you really aren't reading something different. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment below! Thanks for reading!