Friday 3 June 2016

Alice Through The Looking Glass | Movie Review | Faith


After slipping through a mirror, Alice (Mia Wasikowska) finds herself back in Underland with the White Queen (Anne Hathaway), the Cheshire Cat, the White Rabbit, Tweedledee and Tweedledum. Her friends tell her that the Mad Hatter (Johnny Depp) is depressed over the death of his family. Hoping to save his loved ones, Alice steals the Chronosphere from Time (Sacha Baron Cohen) to travel into the past. While there, she encounters the younger Hatter and the evil Red Queen (Helena Bonham Carter).

- Wikipedia Synopsis




This review will be SPOILER-FREE

Alice Through The Looking Glass is the sequel to Disney's Alice in Wonderland. I didn't really know what to expect from this movie besides the fact that it wasn't going to be like the book. I have never read it, but I know what happens. In this review, I will not be discussing people's annoyance with the film, I will be reviewing it as a film and not a book-movie adaptation because it's barely even based on the book, it just has the name.

Let's start this review off by saying that I really loved this movie. I don't care what anybody else says, it was a good film. I just thought that it was not only entertaining but it was put together really well. I love movies that involve Time, and the way they laid out this story was really fascinating. There were so many moments in this movie where I was like... "That's pretty clever." 

I have always been really interested in the world of this particular version of Alice in Wonderland, all of the backstory's are all very unique and in times a little odd. The relationships that are in this film will really just warm your heart. It was great to watch Alice go on this journey to save her friends and it was awesome to see what a strong and powerful yet stubborn character she was.


I feel like this movie is heavily surrounded by the relationships. The bonds that are formed in this film is what I feel like is the core of the entire movie. I really enjoyed how it all came back down to the relationships and how each person cared for one another. There were also a lot of sentimental moments as well which is something that I always like to see when it comes to movies.

In Alice Through the Looking Glass, there is a lot of CGI. Sometimes, it can be a bit overdone but in this case it wasn't. I personally enjoyed the brightness and the colour because the first film was a little bit darker. It was very pleasing to look at and I loved how each section of the film had a different kind of scheme to it if that makes sense. 

I don't know about you, but I'm always amazed by Johnny Depp. It's so weird to think that is him. If you think he's a bad actor, you're weird. However, each actor brought something unique and fun to the movie. This is one of those films where all of the characters have a very distinct personality that is very different from the others. Some of my favourites included The Mad Hatter (obviously), TweedleDee and Tweedle Dum, Alice, The Red Queen, The White Queen and Time himself.



The pacing of this film was really well done in my opinion. There were certain hints that could've been quite predictable but it wasn't due to the pacing. Or at least I think it's the pacing... Anyway, the revelations were definitely shocking and unexpected. 

Overall, I thought that this was a really strong film. There were many elements that I loved and I don't know why but I was so surprised when it wasn't directed by Tim Burton. In my opinion, I thought that it was an excellent sequel and was very entertaining to watch. I would rate this movie a 4.5 out of 5 stars.

I hope you enjoyed reading this review!

Feel free to follow our blog!

Check out our SOCIAL MEDIA for updates on our current reads and future projects.


3 comments:

  1. "If you think he's a bad actor, you're weird" HAHA! Loved the review, Faith. I'm so annoyed I missed this in the cinema after loving the first one! I'm kinda against all these re-do's of the classic Disney (didn't like the new Cinderella for example) but The Alice in Wonderland is so new and refreshing I love it! I also love Depp, Bonham Carter, and Baron Cohen collaborations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Aw that's too bad. I kind have to agree with the Cinderella re-make, I didn't hate it but I didn't love it. It also could also have to do with the fact that I'm not the biggest fan of Cinderella in general.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment below! Thanks for reading!