Monday 11 July 2016

Books I Loved Before YA + Which Books Made Me Love YA | Faith

I don't know about you but I've always loved reading. Even though I loved reading books, I was never an avid reader until maybe late grade 6 to early grade 7. In my elementary school, we were always taken to our school library to check out books and I guess you could say we were "forced". It wasn't until I reached grade 6 that I picked up a series that I really, really enjoyed! I feel like it was one of the series that enhanced my already existing love for books. It was the first series I remember reading and I always anticipated reading the next one.

This series is, The Series of Unfortunate Events by: Lemony Snicket! I was the only kid in my class who read this series and I feel like people found me quite weird. I absolutely loved this series and still do! I've been itching for a re-read and I am so tempted but I have so many other books I need to read. However, the new Netflix series is definitely something that can give me an excuse to do so. It kind of confuses me on why this book is marketed as a middle grade because it's pretty dark.












The next series is Harry Potter & The Philosophers Stone by: J.K. Rowling. Before I read the books, I had watched the movies. I grew up watching the films and my obsession did not start until the release of the Deathly Hallows Part 2 film. I also did not start reading the books until grade 7. I remember my mom and I went to all of these different bookstores to find my books for Christmas. However, before this my friend and I had both become obsessed with the entire franchise, so obsessed that we played one of the Harry Potter DVD games every day and it eventually become a competition to see who could answer the question first because we had memorized all of the answers. Also I had written a Harry Potter "script" that was about the children of Harry Potter and his friends. Now that I think about it, it's a little ironic considering there is now a script being released and the play is currently doing previews. I'm so excited for the release of the script! I'm going to a Harry Potter party and not gonna lie, I kind of want to film it.



The next series that I remember starting and finishing from the start was The False Prince by: Jennifer A. Nielsen. I actually discovered this book shortly after it came out, I just remember being in the bookstore and really loving the cover. This is one of my favourite series of all time and it has a special place in my heart. I would also love to see this become a film because I feel like it would adapt really well.












This is a series I'm sure everybody either knows or has read. The Hunger Games is one of my biggest obsessions and I absolutely love it. If you didn't know, I am one of those fans who had watched the first film and then eventually read the books. I do not regret anything because I like how I discovered. Honestly, the only reason why I went and saw the first film was because I felt left out and everyone was talking about it. The Hunger Games is the series that pulled me into the world of YA literature. It opened so many doors for me and now I can't stop. Now I'm just that annoying person who always points out that I've read the book before the movie whenever a certain book-film is released.


EDIT/SIDE NOTE: A little story for you, when I was in grade 9 my English teacher knew that I really loved The Hunger Games series, and this was around the time when the Catching Fire movie was about to be released. He tracked me down or followed me to my Health class to give me a flyer for a Hunger Games party. Yeah... That was interesting.



The next series is another popular dystopian trilogy and that is Divergent by: Veronica Roth. I read this after I read The Hunger Games because a guy at the bookstore had recommended it to me. I read this maybe a couple months - a year after it was officially released. I just remember falling in love with the series and I can't really say more because it was such a long time ago. I feel like this book led me more into the futuristic dystopian side of YA.






I hope you enjoyed reading this post!


Feel free to follow our blog!

Check out our SOCIAL MEDIA for updates on our current reads and future projects.




























No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment below! Thanks for reading!